WHAT CAUSES ECZEMA?
Eczema usually begins in early childhood and flares up periodically then subsides. Some people do outgrow the condition, but others will continue to experience the condition throughout their adult life. The cause of eczema is not known, but it is thought to have a genetic component, as the condition often runs in families. Eczema is most likely the result of various factors, including:
- A reduction in the skin’s barrier that locks in moisture
- Immune system dysfunction
- Bacteria on the skin’s surface
- Environmental factors
How is Eczema Treated?
- While there is no cure for eczema, the doctor’s at Colorado Skin Surgery & Dermatology can help alleviate symptoms and control flare-ups. Treatments options include:
- Corticosteroid cream or ointments to control itching and inflammation
- Creams that help repair the skin
- Oral antibiotics, prescribed if a bacterial infection is present from open sores or cracked skin caused by scratching.
- Oral anti-itch medication
- Anti-inflammatory drugs, either taken orally or injected
- Light therapy, which involves exposure to controlled amounts of artificial ultraviolet light.
When you come to our dermatologists and skin surgeons in Denver, we will assess your symptoms and discern the type, or types, of eczema you have in order to provide the tools you need to best manage it. For more information about our treatment methods, or to schedule an appointment, contact us today.