It seems these days everyone is looking for the Fountain of Youth. However, instead of looking for an actual fountain full of living water, people are turning to cosmetic procedures (both invasive and non-invasive) to solve their dilemma of looking younger.
Colorado Skin, Surgery & Dermatology in Denver offers various types of dermal fillers to help you achieve the look you desire. While we recognize that the Fountain of Youth is a myth, we can help you look years younger and feel better about yourself because of the non-invasive cosmetic procedure of fillers. Our mission is to provide complete care for all of your skin’s needs, from anti-wrinkle treatments and acne treatments to liposuction and skin cancer detection services. As your go-to for all things skin care, we thought we’d take a moment to explain dermal fillers to see if these are right for you. Contact our dermatologists today!
What is a Filler?
Fillers are substances that are injected in your skin that fill in lines, creases, or other areas, such as scars, to improve their appearance. Many times, fillers are used as volumizers, or a means to plump up problem areas, such as your cheeks, chin, jawline, and temple. They are frequently used to fill out your lips and hands as well.
What Substances Are in Dermal Fillers?
As previously mentioned, there are different types of dermal fillers, which contain different substances. Some of these substances include:
- Calcium hydroxylapatite. This substance is found in bones.
- Hyaluronic acid. Many people are familiar with hyaluronic acid as it has become a frequent ingredient in moisturizers. This naturally-occurring compound is found in our bodies and is known for holding in water. This is by far the most popular type of filler because it is all-natural and has the least amount of possible side effects.
- Polyalkylimide. A compound that is mostly water and is safe for the body.
- Polylactic acid. This compound helps stimulate your body’s cells to make collagen.
- Polymethyl-methacrylate microspheres (PMMA). This compound is a longer-lasting filler.
Each of these work differently on your body, so it completely depends on what you are looking for as an outcome on which type is used. Those that are synthetic will have more possible side effects, but they will last much longer than hyaluronic acid fillers.
When you partner with a professional dermatologist such as those at Colorado Skin, Surgery & Dermatology in Denver, they can help you decide which type of dermal filler will work best for your skin type and desired outcome. Depending on the filler type, some will last only six months, while others can last years.
What Are the Side Effects of Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers do have some possible side effects, including:
- Allergic reactions of the skin, causing itching or rashes
- Bump formation under the skin, which can be permanent
- Blue skin discoloration
- Dead skin cells if dermal fillers are not used properly
- Undesired appearance if too much is used
- Blindness or other vision problems
Should You Use Botox Instead?
It’s hard to say which cosmetic skin treatment is better for you. This is where the services of a professional dermatologist such as those at Colorado Skin, Surgery & Dermatology in Denver are invaluable. Botox is not a filler. Instead, Botox paralyzes your muscles to stop creases and wrinkles caused by facial expressions. Dermal fillers plump up areas to create volume and smoothness. In some cases, both Botox and dermal fillers can be used in complementary ways to achieve the desired effect you are seeking. This is why a consultation with one of our dermatologists is always performed before any cosmetic procedures are performed.
Caveats for Dermal Fillers
- Always be sure you are getting dermal fillers from licensed practitioners in medical settings. Ask to see their credentials if you are unsure, or go somewhere else. The last thing you want is someone injecting foreign substances in your body that are potentially toxic and harmful to your health and appearance. Be wary of homes, hotels, spas, and resorts.
- Ensure your dermal fillers are FDA-approved. By going to a reputable doctor’s office, you can be sure they are using FDA-approved fillers.
- Don’t go off price. Dermal fillers are pricey. If you are getting a deal that is too good to be true, then it is. This is your cue to run!
How to Prepare for a Dermal Filler Treatment
- Similar to Botox, it is recommended that you not be taking any type of blood thinning medications prior to treatment for at least two weeks. This is because of the risk of bleeding during the treatment. Medications such as NSAIDS, aspirin, fish oil, Advil, Aleve, and Ibuprofen can cause your blood to be thinner than normal.
- Do not consume alcohol at least 24 hours prior to your procedure. Alcohol can thin your blood as well, which increases your chances of bruising and bleeding excessively.
- If you are getting dermal fillers for a special occasion, you’ll want to schedule at least two weeks ahead of time. Results usually take about four to seven days, and if you do experience any bruising, it will be apparent in that time frame.
- If you’ve had cold sores, please inform your doctor. Dermal fillers can cause cold sores to erupt, so you may have to be put on an antiviral medication afterwards for preventative measures.
After Care Instructions for Dermal Fillers
- You’ll want to sleep on your back so you don’t put any undue pressure on the treatment area immediately afterwards.
- Avoid touching the area for a few hours after your treatment.
- You may experience slight swelling. Use a cold compress for relief.
- Do not massage the area immediately after treatment and for a few hours afterwards.
- Avoid the sun for three days.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours.
- Use arnica, a natural ointment that can help to reduce bruising and swelling.
- Take Tylenol for pain or discomfort.
CHOOSE COLORADO SKIN, SURGERY & DERMATOLOGY IN DENVER AS YOUR DERMATOLOGIST OF CHOICE
As top-rated cosmetic and general dermatologists, we pride ourselves in taking care of your skin so you can feel beautiful and healthy. We offer a wide variety of services, from skin cancer surgery and restorative surgery to cosmetic surgery and general dermatology. The dermatologists here at Colorado Skin, Surgery & Dermatology in Denver care about helping you have vibrant, healthy, and youthful skin.
As you’ve seen, dermal fillers are one way to turn back the hands of time. However, there are many other non-invasive skin care procedures that we offer, such as microneedling and laser treatments, as well as Botox, that can help you achieve the look you desire. We advise our patients on skin care, as well as on what cosmetic procedures will be best for them.
All of our dermatologists have vast experience in dermatology, and nothing makes them happier than helping clients look, feel, and be their best. We treat both men and women who are looking to feel better about themselves, offering body contouring, breast lifts, vein treatments, tattoo removal, and Mohs skin cancer surgery.
When you partner with us, you can rest assured that you are in good hands of qualified dermatologists who want nothing but the best for you. From your initial appointment to aftercare, our mission is for you to be 100% satisfied with your dermatology treatments. From skin cancer and prevention to cosmetic elective skin procedures and care for skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema, we can help. We offer free consultations, so make the most of your life, and contact us today!