Laser Hair Reduction
If you’ve been shaving for any length of time, you know the hassle of the daily routine, the constant knicks, and having to replace your razor blade all the time. It’s just one more thing you have to do in your already busy schedule. There has to be an easier way — and there is.
Laser hair removal uses light energy to greatly reduce or remove unwanted hair, eliminating your daily routine almost entirely. You won’t have to deal with missed hairs or cuts anymore. This procedure is safe and highly effective.
Colorado Skin, Surgery & Dermatology in Denver offers hair reduction treatments. The process is quick and affordable. Our licensed dermatologists can help you determine if laser hair removal is right for you. Below, we’ll explain the process a bit more to give you some more information, then we invite you in for a free consultation to get all of your questions answered and get started. Now let’s begin!
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Like the name implies, laser hair removal uses laser light to damage your hair follicle. A concentrated beam is shined on the follicle, which absorbs the light and damages the follicle. The result is a hair who either cannot grow or whose growth is severely stunted. The treatment is quick and relatively painless. Sensitive areas, such as the bikini line, may be a bit more tender, but overall, it’s manageable. If you prefer, you can request numbing cream if the pain is too much for you, or you can take an over-the-counter painkiller ahead of time, such as Ibuprofen.
The length of the hair treatment session depends on how big the treatment area is. Your upper lip, for example, is super quick. Your entire back, however, may take an hour.
How Many Sessions are Necessary?
Colorado Skin, Surgery & Dermatology in Denver gets this question a lot. Due to the fact that hair grows in different stages and some hair follicles won’t sustain as much damage as others, it usually takes multiple sessions in order to see uniform results. This varies from individuals, but the average is anywhere from two to six.
Are There Any Side Effects to Laser Hair Reduction?
- Skin irritation. This is usually immediately after the procedure. You may have discomfort, redness, or swelling afterwards, which will subside. It’s very similar to razor burn.
- Changes in pigment. The laser treatment can darken or lighten your skin, depending on your skin color already. However, this usually occurs in people who go out in the sun right before or after treatment.
- Blistering, crusting, or scarring. These side effects are rare. Your hair could also turn gray in the treated area.
What Areas Can Be Treated for Hair Reduction?
- Bikini areas
Hair reduction is not recommended for eyebrows or around your eyes due to the possibility of damage from the laser to the eyes.
- Research your dermatologist. Like all medical treatments, you need to find someone who knows what they are doing. You should look for a board certified dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon who has experience in laser hair reduction. All procedures should be done at a clinic by a doctor. Sometimes a physician assistant or licensed nurse will perform hair removal, but make sure they are being supervised by a doctor. Don’t go to a spa, salon, or other non-licensed facility.
- Schedule a consultation. Before you undergo any medical treatment, you need to make sure this is the right choice for you. By scheduling a consultation with a licensed dermatologist, such as those at Colorado Skin, Surgery & Dermatology in Denver, you will go over your medical history, including any history of skin disorders or other skin procedures you’ve undergone, such as a different hair removal procedure. You’ll go over any medications you are taking, and they will explain the risks, benefits, and care involved. Your dermatologist should also set realistic expectations for the treatment. You’ll set up an appointment for laser hair removal, take before photos, and then review the dos and don’ts both before and after the treatment.
- Avoid the sun for up to six weeks before the treatment, and use sunscreen if out and about.
- Go all-natural. This means don’t engage in a sunless tan or spray tan anytime soon.
- Don’t remove hair ahead of time. This means don’t pluck or wax at least four weeks before the treatments. This can damage the hair follicle and affect laser hair removal.
- Don’t take blood thinning medications. These can cause more bruising and cause more bleeding afterwards.
- Shave the day before your treatment session. This makes it easier for the laser to reach the follicle, but does not damage the hair below the surface. It also prevents damage to your skin from a hair being too long.
Aftercare of a Laser Hair Removal Treatment
After a laser hair removal treatment, the damaged hairs will fall out gradually. If you experience any discomfort, you can apply an ice pack to the treated area. If you have a skin reaction, call your dermatologist as soon as possible. A steroid cream may be needed to calm the area. Avoid the sun after your treatment for six weeks, and always use sunscreen when you go outside.
Results of Hair Removal Treatment
Results will vary, For some people, hair removal lasts several years. For others, it only lasts several months. However, when hair does regrow, it’s lighter in color and usually finer. Maintenance treatments may be needed for a more permanent solution to hair removal.
Benefits of Hair Reduction Treatment
- No more shaving!
- Permanently smooth skin
- Increase in skin sensation
- No friction
CHOOSING COLORADO SKIN, SURGERY & DERMATOLOGY IN DENVER FOR YOUR HAIR REDUCTION NEEDS
If you are looking to eliminate the hassle of shaving from your life, then hair reduction treatments are for you. These fast, simple treatments are easily done in your dermatologist’s office, and with no downtime, you can do these treatments on your lunch break.
Here at Colorado Skin, Surgery & Dermatology in Denver, we offer the best in laser reduction treatments. When you give us a call, we’ll set up a free consultation for you to make your final decision about whether laser hair removal is for you. Then, we’ll get you scheduled for your first session, so you can be on your way to hairless days in no time.
We, however, are much more than just a hair reduction clinic here in Denver. We offer a wide array of cosmetic, general, and skin cancer related services. Some of our cosmetic skin services include acne treatments, facial reconstruction, facelifts, Botox, dermal fillers, and vascular lesions. Some of our general dermatology offerings include vitiligo treatments, psoriasis treatments, rosacea treatments, and skin cancer prevention services. For skin cancer services, we offer Mohs skin cancer surgery and restorative surgery.
The licensed and professional dermatologists at Colorado Skin, Surgery & Dermatology in Denver offer top-notch skin treatments in order to not only help with conditions and disorders of the skin, but also to make you feel better about yourself, whether that’s through laser hair reduction or through a facelift. After all, you only have one life to lead, and you want to lead it feeling good about how you look when you step out into the world. We want you to be happy and healthy in your own skin. Give us a call today to get started!